A man who opened fire near a security checkpoint close to the White House on Saturday evening was shot and killed by U.S. Secret Service officers after an exchange of gunfire, marking the latest in a series of security incidents occurring near President Donald Trump in recent weeks.
According to the Secret Service, the shooting unfolded shortly after 6 p.m. local time near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, an area situated steps from the White House complex and heavily monitored by federal security personnel.
Authorities said the suspect removed a firearm from a bag and began firing near the checkpoint, prompting officers to respond immediately.
Secret Service agents returned fire, striking the suspect. He was transported to a hospital, where he later died from his injuries.
Officials confirmed that no Secret Service personnel were wounded during the incident and emphasized that President Trump, who was inside the White House at the time, was not harmed.
The event has renewed concerns over the growing number of armed incidents occurring around areas connected to the president.
Suspect Identified as Man Previously Arrested Near White House
Law enforcement officials later identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best.
Investigators reviewing court records found that Best had previously been arrested in July 2025 after attempting to enter another White House checkpoint without authorization.
According to court documents, officers at the time said he ignored commands to stop and reportedly made unusual statements, including identifying himself as Jesus Christ and expressing a desire to be arrested.
Following that incident, the court issued a pretrial stay-away order — a legal measure intended to prevent a defendant from approaching certain locations or individuals while awaiting further proceedings.
However, records indicate a bench warrant was later issued after Best allegedly failed to comply with court requirements.
Authorities have not yet publicly disclosed whether any ongoing investigations or mental health concerns were linked to Saturday’s shooting.
Federal agencies continue to review the suspect’s background and potential motives.
Third Gunfire Incident Near Trump in One Month

Saturday’s shooting represents the third gun-related security incident connected to areas near President Trump within roughly a month.
The frequency of such events has intensified scrutiny over security arrangements surrounding presidential movements and federal facilities in Washington.
Recent incidents include:
White House Correspondents’ Dinner Shooting Attempt
In late April, authorities reported what investigators described as an attempted attack linked to President Trump during the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner.
Prosecutors allege a suspect breached a security checkpoint inside a Washington hotel and fired a shotgun toward law enforcement personnel.
The accused later pleaded not guilty.
Washington Monument Gunfire Incident
Days later, another shooting occurred near the Washington Monument, only blocks from the White House.
Authorities said officers exchanged fire with a suspect in that case as well.
A teenage bystander was injured during the incident.
These repeated events have placed federal security agencies under pressure as they respond to an increasingly volatile environment.
Bystander Injured During Saturday Shooting

Authorities confirmed that a civilian was also injured during Saturday’s exchange of gunfire.
However, investigators have not determined whether the person was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or during the return fire by officers.
The victim’s condition has not been fully detailed.
Forensic teams are reviewing ballistic evidence and surveillance footage to reconstruct the sequence of events.
Officials stressed that determining the exact origin of the injury remains a key part of the investigation.
Crime Scene Transformed Into Major Investigation Site
Hours after the shooting, the area outside the White House remained sealed off as investigators processed evidence.
Witnesses described an extensive crime scene stretching across sidewalks near the White House perimeter.
Yellow police tape surrounded the area while investigators marked evidence locations with dozens of orange markers.
Medical supplies and emergency response equipment remained visible at the scene, indicating the scale of the response.
Security personnel and forensic specialists continued working late into the evening collecting shell casings, reviewing trajectories and documenting evidence.
The incident temporarily disrupted pedestrian movement around parts of the White House grounds.
Journalists Forced Into Shelter as Gunfire Rang Out

Members of the White House press corps working nearby experienced the shooting firsthand.
Journalists stationed in media tents along the White House driveway reported hearing multiple gunshots and were instructed to immediately seek shelter.
Several correspondents described moments of confusion as the sound of rapid gunfire echoed across the complex.
One widely circulated video posted online captured a television journalist filming a routine update when gunfire suddenly erupted in the background.
The footage showed the reporter quickly ducking for cover as shots continued.
The video gained millions of views within hours, highlighting how quickly security incidents around the White House can unfold in full public view.
Shooting Occurred Near Site of Previous Deadly Attack

Saturday’s violence occurred within walking distance of another high-profile shooting that shook Washington last year.
In November, two members of the West Virginia National Guard were ambushed nearby.
Twenty-year-old Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom died from injuries sustained in the attack, while Staff Sergeant Andrew Wolfe was critically wounded.
The suspect in that case was later charged.
The proximity of the latest shooting to previous incidents has intensified concerns about security in areas surrounding federal institutions.
Trump Remained at White House After Weekend Plans Changed
President Trump was reportedly inside the White House during Saturday’s incident.
Officials stated he was not directly affected.
The president had originally planned to spend the weekend at his golf property in New Jersey but changed those plans a day earlier and remained in Washington.
The reason for the scheduling adjustment was not publicly linked to the shooting.
Nonetheless, the timing has drawn attention as security agencies continue managing a series of incidents near locations connected to the president.
Rising Security Challenges Around the Presidency
The latest shooting underscores the increasingly complex security environment facing federal authorities.
While the White House remains one of the most heavily protected sites in the world, repeated incidents involving firearms near presidential events and landmarks have highlighted evolving threats.
Security analysts note that modern protective operations must account not only for organized plots but also unpredictable lone actors operating in highly public spaces.
Saturday’s shooting ended within minutes due to the rapid response of Secret Service officers, but it added another chapter to a month marked by heightened security tensions around the presidency.
Federal investigators are expected to continue reviewing evidence, witness accounts and the suspect’s history as they work to determine what led to the latest gunfire incident outside America’s most protected address.















